5/31/2013

Convocation


So last night I had to go back to school for Convocation. Convocation is pretty much the night where all the teachers get to tell the parents that the $18,000 (per child) their spending to send their child/children to FA is paying off. It is also the place that if you got any awards during the year you would get them.

So I was a member of something called Student Advocates For Equality, or SAFE, and my friend cGm and I had to give a speech at Convocation talking about what we have done over the past year. It was also bittersweet for most of us who were leaving SAFE. We had worked for two years in the group and it was sad, for me at least, to say goodbye to the group. 

cGm and me giving the SAFE speech. 

All of the outgoing SAFE members. :( 
From left to right: lPa, wRm (cGm's twin), zTm, hSm, rGf, aRr, cGm, and me. 

This is what I got last night in the awards department, a certificate for my National Latin Exam which I received a Magna Cum Laude (3rd place), certificate for SAFE, Student Ambassadors, and Global Explorers. 

Me getting this high of a grade on a Latin Exam is pretty impressive, if you didn't know me, this is me defying society's expectations for a dyslexic. But Latin is hard for me. English words are hard for me to spell and it is my native language, imagine Latin. 

Latin is one of my favorite subjects, next to math, because of the teacher. Ms. V is awesome! she is so funny and she understands that I will NOT spell everything correctly because my brian doesn't work like that. You have no clue how many tests that I have taken and I have spelled the Latin words wrong on the vocabulary section and she doesn't count me off for it because she knows I am a dyslexic. But I try hard in every subject in school, even the dreaded English class. Ms. V is so funny and we all have so much fun in her class, but still get work done. She is so cool and she always gives me a hug when I need a pick-me-up during the day. 

I never liked English or grammar until last year when I had Mr. McG for English. The way he teaches  is that he doesn't give you homework except to read (of course) and he doesn't give you test or quizzes on the reading. What he does is have these things called Literature Circles, and they are like worksheets that you work with a group of three or four and come up with answers the the questions. The questions are more analytical than they are fact based. Mr. McG made me like English. He is an amazing teacher, and I thank him! 

I love math! That's no secret, I have said that since I was five and in kindergarten. While letters make no sense to me at all sometime, numbers always do. I like math because 2 + 2 will ALWAYS equal 4, but "their" and "there" are two different things. My math teacher for the last two years, who taught me Algebra I and Geometry, was Mrs. G. She used to be an accountant for a big hospital, but quit so that she could teach us little scoundrels. She always tells me not to stress out about my grades, but I end up doing it anyway. She is so cool and awesome! 

The teachers who took my class to Costa Rica are both leaving this year. Mrs. D and Mrs. B are both Math teachers, but Mrs. D also  teaches Earth Science, which I had to take this year. Mrs. B taught me math a few years ago. I am going to miss them both. 

Okay, enough with school and teachers. It's officially summer time! Now about my outfit last night. 


My hair was in a sock bun (ya got to love them), and I was wearing my monogramed necklace that I got for my birthday, and of course, pearl earrings. I had on my Lilly Pulitzer Bow dress, as I like to call it, and white Jack Rogers. 


rGf and me! 

Thank you everyone for reading! 

Your Faithful Prepster, 
mSv 

No comments:

Post a Comment